Steyr m95

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steyr m95

A local shop has a Steyr M95 straight pull sporting rifle with express sights and double triggers, acorn bolt knob, scroll engraving and a mannlicher stock. It has this name on the barrel and a 308 stamped on it which the owner of the shop said the rifle would chamber a .308 round. It is a nice little rifle but is a .308 safe to shoot in it? Is the name on the barrel the maker or retailer? Thanks and Merry Christmas.

Hello

R. Marshall,
    there was/were a number of Ogris:es. As for Friedrich Ogris, the earliest I have him mentioned is 1908 when an apprentice of his, a Josef Schmautz (possibly Scmauß), received some "Diplom" so Friedrich Ogris was most likely active before 1908. He advertized as a Gewehrfabrik but if he himself took part in any manufacturing of guns I don't know. Apparently he was also a Gendarmerierevierinspektor and received a gold medal for something he performed in this occupation in 1931. The last mentioning of a Friedrich Ogris (Gewehrfabrik) that I have is from 1944. See image below
    0aa0.jpg

Images of proofs would be helpful

Kind regards
    Peter
    Last edited by algmule; 12-22-2018, 01:59 PM. Reason: linguistics

Comment

I will have more detailed photos after the holiday. I am concerned with it being recambered in .308. Im guessing if it is a person would have to shoot a mild load.

Thanks

Comment

In my opinion, you have reason to be concerned. I recommend you make a chamber cast and "slug" the bore. I agree with Peter about proofs.
        Mike

Comment

Mike here are the proofs.

Comment

more picture

Comment

a few more

Comment

R. Marshall,
                There is even more concern now. These rifles started out chambered for a rimmed 8mm cartridge. When the Nazis took the country over, they converted many to different calibers, one of which was 8x57JS as a substitute for Mod 98 Mausers. Proof marks on your rifle seem to have been overstamped, but may have been originally proofed for a 243gr bullet, which would not be consistent with 8x57 JS, nor 8x60( see overstamp). The 308 case has a large enough shoulder diameter that it may interfere with an 8x57 or 8x60 chamber wall, giving the misimpression that it is the proper cartridge. You san make a quick check to eliminate or include the rimmed cartridges( 8x50R, 8x56R), as the extractor for the rimmed cartridges will not hold the 308 case. I will not say 308 chambering is not possible( I once reconverted one of the 8x57 conversions to 308, for the owner), but I will say it is vert highly improbable. Such a conversion requires a different barrel, and this one has a WW2 era stamps. I urge you to have the barrel slugged and have a chamber cast made to determine the actual nominal cartridge.
                Mike
                Last edited by mike ford; 01-04-2019, 03:35 PM.

Comment

will do thanks

Comment

This rifle is quite enigmatic. Apparently it was originally built for the old Austrian 8x50R Mannlicher with it's 244 gr GanzMantelGeschoss = full metal jacket, pre-WW1. Later, it was converted for, apparently, the 8x60 rimmed or rimless cartridge. How was this done? Altering the bolthead was a lesser problem, but reducing the chamber diameter certainly was a big one. The Austrian gunmakers then ften bored out the original chamber and inserted a sleeve to take the new chamber. Slug your bore! It may be even a bit wide for S = .323" bullets, as military M95 barrels had a groove diameter of .326 - .328". After conversion the Rifle was reprooved 343 = March 1943 by the Ferlach proofhouse, then in Hitler's Grossdeutschland, 1940 – 45 German proof. The meaning of the "308" mark is beyond my imagination. Maye a serial or registration number?

Comment

Thanks for your reply Axel. My first slugging of the barrel I came up with "Lands .3135 Grooves .3285". I plan to slug the bore again and cast the chamber once the supplies arrive next week.

Thanks,
                      Robert

Comment

I have found out this rifle is built on a M90 receiver not a M95 and it is chambered in 8x50r Mannlicher. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by algmule View Post
                          The last mentioning of a Friedrich Ogris (Gewehrfabrik) that I have is from 1944. See image below
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]5072[/ATTACH]
                          Still advertised in 1950 (summer) as Friedrich Ogris, Waffenschmiede, St. Margarethen bei Ferlach. Offered all kinds of hunting rifles.

Peter

Comment

Working...
                          X